Here’s How Much Money You Should Save From Each Paycheck

Select’s editorial team works independently to review financial products and write articles that we think our readers will find useful. We earn commission from affiliate partners on many offers, but not all offers on select are from affiliate partners.

If the past few years have taught us one thing about managing money, it’s that it’s important to set aside some savings.

Despite the importance of having savings, however, Research shows that 45% of Americans have less than $1,000 saved – and in an emergency, $1,000 may very well not be enough. It’s important to hide a portion of each paycheck to make sure you have enough money to cover the worst-case scenario.

Financial security aside, there are many other benefits that savings can provide. interest rates are rising Having stronger savings will allow you to pay off high-interest loans, such as Credit Card, That is why in view of today’s volatile economic environment, Financial experts give advice on getting out of debt as soon as you can.

For starters, having some savings can help you avoid going deep into debt to cover the purchase in the first place. This will allow more room for you to try new things professionally and without worrying about what impact it might have on your finances.

While we’ve established that saving is important, the next question is, how far should we put?

Subscribe to Featured Newsletters!

Our best picks delivered to your inbox. Shopping recommendations that help upgrade your life, delivered weekly. register here,

how much should you save every paycheck

The standard rule of thumb is to save 20% off each paycheck. This goes back to a popular budgeting rule referred to as the 50-30-20 strategy, which means that you spend 50% of your pay for the things you need, 30% for the things you want and 20% for the things you want. % allocate for savings and investments.

Sean Andersona certified financial planner Anderson Financial Strategies, say that this “gold standard” will not apply to everyone or every situation. He suggests another method involves an 80-20 split, in which 20% of your paycheck is allocated to your savings and the remaining 80% to expenses related to your needs and desires. The idea is that the 20% allocation remains constant in either approach.

It is certainly realistic that, in this latest rule, 80% bears all your essential costs, leaving no room to spend on your necessities. For example, Latest data from Redfin Turns out that as of June 2022, the average monthly rent price in the US is $2,016. With an average this high, it makes sense that one’s needs could easily reach 80% of one’s paycheck.

No matter what rule you choose to follow, be sure to find a flexible balance between saving and spending. “The issue with both of these methods is that saving 20% ​​is still a priority,” Anderson says.

and if you wondering how much of that 20% you should investIt helps to have a goal first to stash about three to six months’ worth of living expenses in your savings—this is also how much experts usually recommend. emergency fund,

If You Can’t Save 20% of Each Paycheck

There may be times or circumstances that make it difficult to set aside a fifth of your paycheck — and that’s certainly okay. “There’s no one-size-fits-all answer here,” says Delaney Barros Delyne the Money Coach, Taking the example above, if your essential costs equal 80% of your paycheck, you might want to allocate some of the remaining 20% ​​to discretionary spending and not put all of it into your savings.

At the end of the day, the goal is really to make sure you’re saving some portion of your paycheck—even just $20. By saving a little every time you get paid, you’ll make saving a habit and it will soon become second nature to you.

It’s important to engage in a savings routine, no matter how much you’re setting aside. That way, when the day comes that you can allocate more to your savings, it’s already a muscle you’re exercising. “Starting small and as early as possible can make all the difference in your financial security,” says Anderson.

You can also try to increase your savings by freeing up some of the money you have spent. Make it easier on yourself by signing up for an app like correct bill, which can cancel unwanted subscriptions and negotiate bills on your behalf. Reading Complete review of Select on Truebill to learn more.

Guidelines for knowing how much to save

Beyond the 20% rule of thumb and making sure you’re setting aside at least some portion of each paycheck, Barros says to acknowledge what you’re really saving for, because you’re saving your savings. How much is arguably more important than what you plan to do with it. you save.

For example, if you’re putting together an emergency fund to get you going for a few months, you’ll need to save at a higher rate because you’re striving for a short-term, high-priority goal. On the other hand, notes Barros, if you’re saving for retirement and you in your 20sYou can save between 10% to 15% of each paycheck if you want to retire up to the age of 60,

Barros offers another guideline: How much you should save depends on how much money you plan to spend, not how much you currently earn. For example, someone who earns a salary of $50,000 but lives rent-free will have less expenses than someone who makes a salary of $100,000 but is paying rent and has a family, Both will have different effects on their savings habits.

Use one high-yield savings account for all your savings needs

Determining how much to save is quickly figuring out where to put it. Your best bet is online high yield savings account, which pays more interest than a traditional savings account at your local brick-and-mortar bank. in present, LendingClub High-Yield Savings Offers one of the highest returns on your money, with a 2.07% annual percentage yield, or APY. Account holders don’t have to pay monthly maintenance fees, nor are they required to reach a minimum balance—they’ll only need an initial $100 deposit to open their account.

ground level

Building a solid cash cushion can give you more flexibility in a pinch and help provide peace of mind knowing that you are financially prepared for whatever life comes your way.

While saving 20% ​​of each paycheck is a pretty standard rule, use the guidelines mentioned above to help you determine what’s best for your personal financial circumstances. Whether you can save 20% or 5% of each paycheck, starting with any amount is better than nothing and will help establish the habit of putting money away, which is really the most important takeaway.

Editorial Note: The opinions, analysis, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of select editorial staff alone, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any third party.