Why You Should Avoid Taking Too Much Vitamin D Delhi News – Times of India

NEW DELHI: A 55-year-old man was recently referred to Delhi’s Sir Ganga Ram Hospital (SGRH) with recurrent vomiting, loss of appetite and dizziness. His calcium and serum creatinine level were dangerously high. Detailed examination and oral history showed that the condition was caused by an overdose. vitamin D,
The man, who hails from Agra, was advised oral supplementation of vitamin D on a weekly basis for a month by a local orthopedic surgeon, while undergoing treatment for an ankle fracture.
However, due to some confusion, he started taking the supplement daily. It took about a week for his calcium and serum creatinine levels to come down, along with hydration and symptomatic management, said Dr Atul Gogia, Senior Consultant, Internal Medicine, SGRH.
Gogia said the incidence of poisoning due to overdose of vitamin D is increasing. “I see 8-10 such cases in a year.”
While sometimes supplements are prescribed in higher doses than necessary, sometimes patients take it on their own, leading to toxicity. Dr Dinesh Khullar, Chairman and Head, Department of Nephrology, Max Super Specialty Hospital Saket said that he sees at least one case of kidney problem due to Vitamin D overdose on a monthly basis.
“vitamin D Shortage It is widespread, but we should fix it gradually and monitor it at regular intervals to avoid complications, such as severe kidney injury induced by high calcium levels,” he said.
Vitamin D is an important prohormone that is important for maintaining healthy bones and calcium levels. Research suggests that it plays a role in reducing the risk of certain autoimmune diseases and metabolic syndrome. However, due to changing lifestyles and lack of exposure to sunlight, most Indians are deficient in vital nutrients, according to research. Hence its supplements are gaining popularity and are regularly prescribed by doctors. People also buy it over-the-counter.
Dr Anoop Mishra, President, Fortis C-Doc said that based on a proven diagnosis of Vitamin D deficiency, oral supplementation does not cause harm. “The problem occurs when mega doses are given as an injection,” he said.
Dr Uma Kumar, professor and head of rheumatology, AIIMS, said they found a patient, aged 50, who died two years ago due to vitamin D poisoning. “He came to us with a dangerously high level of calcium in the blood and his creatinine level was also very high. He was admitted for six to eight weeks but eventually died.
Dr Kumar said toxicity can be caused by long-term prescription errors and high supplement doses. “Treatment includes stopping vitamin D intake and reducing calcium levels through a series of interventions,” she said. He advised taking supplements without medical advice, especially in injectable form as it is fat soluble and stays in the body for a long time.